Friday, October 03, 2008

Skelos Sure has Some Thin Skin

Here is an exchange between Govenor Paterson and Dean Skelos from Capitol Confidential. It began when Paterson said that "he doesn’t think that they [legislative leaders] fully understand the scope of how bad things are going to be.
And he asked the leaders to be specific about how they are going address the situation.
“What we have to do now is make legislative cuts,” he said.
“We have to address is severely and we have to address it quickly.”
Paterson is looking to start the fiscal year earlier next year.
“These aren’t gimmicks, these are the ways we are trying to address the situation…we can’t wait for all the numbers to be there.”

“I think you’re being a little unfair…I know what my responsibilities are,” said Skelos.

Skelos: Will you raise taxes?
Paterson: No.
Skelos: “Will you stand firm on that pledge?”
Paterson: “I just did.”
Skelos: “I’m not in college, I’m not in law school before. I don’t need to be lectured…the positive tone that you established…is the way that we need to go.”
Paterson: “I apologize if I hurt your feelings.”
Skelos: “You didn’t hurt my feelings. I’ve been doing this for a long time.”

No comments: